There are many online job tools that you can use when searching for a job. While I do not believe the majority of your job search strategy should be focused on just searching the online job boards, I still think it should be a part of your strategy.
Just realize that only about 18 % of job searchers find their job from an online job board. Networking accounts for over 37% of the way people find jobs. One of the most powerful tools that you can use is a combination of the two. Keep reading as I show you a cool feature that allows you to use both networking and an online job board.
I am going to show you how to use job search tools in a effective way so you are not wasting precious time. Indeed.com is one of my favorite job boards out of all of them. I am going to share with you 5 ways to use Indeed job search. Even if you just decided to add a few of these features you will be better off than most of the people that just use the search for jobs feature of the site.
5 Cool Ways to Use Indeed Job Search
Use the saved search feature. Most people skip right over this awesome feature. After you perform a search on Indeed, you can save that search and have indeed email you every morning any new job leads that meet your criteria. This can save you a lot of hours wasted doing searches online. You can even have multiple searches emailed to you if you are looking for several different types of positions and/or titles.
Use the added tools that are available. Take a moment and look at the tools section of Indeed job search. There are more detailed job alerts, job search plugins, and other tools to assist you in finding that new job. Here is a basic run down of what you can find in the tools section:
- Mobile Job Search Feature
- My.Indeed – You can use this as a way to organize your job search
- Email Job Alerts – A place to monitor your email settings
- Firefox Job Search Plugin – Allows you to integrate Indeed into your search engine menu
- Google Toolbar Button – Adds the official Indeed button to your Google toolbar
- Netvibes Job Search Module – Find jobs inside your Netvibes account
- Job Trends – Check out a ton of cool graphs that can plot job trends over time.
- Salary Search – Allows you to find a compare salaries by either location or keyword.
- RSS Feed – Get new jobs delivered directly to Google Reader or any other RSS reader that you have.
Use the forums section to gain important information. Take a moment and peruse the forums section on Indeed. You can look up a specific forum by company, job or city. It is amazing the wealth of information that is being shared. Of course, it varies depending on the company, location or job you are going for. You can gain insights about interviewing practices, key names of executives, and much more.
Use the “more” tab on positions you like. This is another secret weapon that you may not have paid attention to when doing a Indeed job search. Under each job listing is a “more” tab. Once you click on it, you have several useful options. Probably the best feature is the facebook and linkedin links. For example, by clicking on the Linkedin link, a new webpage will open up and it will display for you any possible connections that you may have that is connected to that company. As you have heard me say before, networking is the best way to get your foot in the door. The average person would blindly submit their resume, while the strategic job searcher will network their way in the door.
Post your resume with Indeed. This is a new feature from what I can tell. Indeed allows you to upload your resume which in turn creates a webpage of your resume. You then have a personalized link for your resume that you can share online. It really is a neat idea.
Bet you didn’t realize that Indeed could do all of that? There is more to do on Indeed then just a basic Indeed job search. If you want a visual walk through of what I just described, then watch this video I created:
If you can’t see the video above, watch 5 Ways to Use Indeed Job Search directly on YouTube.
Question: Do you like to use the Indeed Job Search Tool when looking for a job?
- How to Use Networking Cards to Your Advantage (CPACareerCoach.com)
- The Key Missing Ingredient in Your Job Search (CPACareerCoach.com)
- Easy Employment Apps – Searching for Work is Easier with LinkedIn’s New Embeddable Job Applications (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- How to Use Linkedin Effectively in Your Job Search (CPACareerCoach.com)